Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Blue Bird Quilt Progress

I am currently working on this crib quilt for a friend who is due in December. I absolutely fell in love with this fabric line (Swell by Urban Chicks for Moda) and have since snatched up two additional jelly rolls so that I can make a twin sized quilt for my own little Bug in the future.


Here's my progress, all of the blocks are sewn and pressed. Some are a little wonky but that's the charm of "homemade" right?

And here is the quilt top all laid out. It looks huge doesn't it? I have to keep reminding myself that the finished project will be smaller because of the seam allowances. I wonder all the time if I am doing this right? I learned pretty much everything I know about quilting in my fiber arts class in college so it wasn't exactly an excersize in being precise and technical. I guess that's where I count on my old 4-H foundations and hope that the garment sewing "rules" also apply here.

It is, at the very least beautiful right now. I love this fabric more every time I look at it. It really is just so sweet and sassy and vintage and modern all at the same time. And I like the simple "crazy quilt" block design. I feel like it really showcases the fabrics so you don't get distracted with fancy piecing. At least that's what I tell myself. Maybe I'm just too lazy and disorganized to piece a fancy quilt.
~Lindsay


6 comments:

  1. Love the fabric, and yes, "wonky" is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks nice so far and not that "wonky" either. Nice to see you have been able to make some progress since I am not monopolizing your sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do I do if people start coming to our door looking for your store? Do I get some sort of a commission? Should I be charging rent? =D
    ><>

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will notice, Dad, that we did not include the city or state in the "business" name. If someone shows up at your door you can either play dumb or send them to the Etsy site. We can discuss a referral fee if necessary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quit distracting me with this beautiful eye candy. I'm trying to work here. When will you start taking orders for these quilts? I really want one for Nora--but need to get her into a twin bed first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this fabric! Can't wait to see the finished product! I actually have fabric for a quilt that I bought earlier this year for a Christmas present. This is motivation to dust off my sewing machine and start on that quilt! Christmas will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete