Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Silent Partner…

For those who may have thought that Lindsay was an only child and was just making up a sister/partner in sewing, I, Michelle, the other (younger) sister, am finally here, entering a post. As with almost everything in our lives growing up, my sister is an over achiever, and I am left to try to fill her shadow. Seriously, she has three projects underway and blogged about, and I am just now getting around to introducing myself? Good thing we aren’t competitive, right mom and dad?

The truth of the matter is that, despite the lack of posts, I have been working on a few projects, most notably, a costume for the previously mentioned Little Bug, my niece.

To give some background, a little over a year ago, I got married – yeah! Our ideal reception idea was a “fancy picnic,” and our colors were light blue and brown. So in order to achieve the picnic feel; I purchased a few YARDS of blue gingham to serve as table accents.

I think it looks quite nice; the problem however, is what to do with all that gingham AFTER the big day? Well I thought, since my husband originally hails from Kansas, it would be cute to make a Dorothy costume for my little one. Next problem – I don’t have a little one, nor is a little one in the near future plans (just in case you were wondering.) So next best thing…you guessed it, a Dorothy costume for my niece.

I spent a few weekends at my sister’s abode, and started the project on her machine. I then returned to my home, and my machine, to finish the project only to discover the multiple inadequacies of my machine, especially when compared to my sisters (please remember I am NOT competitive with my sister.) But, despite my flawed machine, I worked through the pattern (yes I use patterns) at home. The flaws proved too much to get over and I have since ripped out every last stitch I made on my own machine, AND ordered a new sewing machine.

Isn't it pretty. It is the same machine that my sister has, so I know I will like it. And the best news…it should be at my apartment as I type this – per Amazon “Where is my package” it is being delivered today! Since all projects have been put on hold until I receive my new machine, (how could I possibly be expected to work on such an inferior machine?), you can look forward to many more posts from me very soon.

~Michelle

3 comments:

  1. I'll take 'being competitive' over 'sibling rivalry' anyday. You only serve to make each other better and that's a good thing. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear if the machine came and how you like it! Hooray!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shell, this first post of yours kept a smile on my face the whole time and at points had me laughing out loud. Glad to have your digital fingerprints on the blog as well.

    ReplyDelete