Monday, November 23, 2009

Art Smock for the Bug

I had a few hours of solitude this past weekend and put them to good use. The Bug needs some new things for her new day care next Monday. And far be it from me to purchase something I could make, right?


So I found this tutorial on-line. Super cute, right? I didn't stick to the tutorial completely but used it as a jumping off point. I am constantly amazed by the creativity of others.
The main body fabric is a heavy canvas that I had in my stash. The arms are home decor weight fabric by Jessica Jones (also from my stash). How amazingly awesome is she, right? And she lives in the same suburb as my dear sis. I am star struck.

I haven't done a whole lot of applique, but this was fun!

The fabrics I used for the applique were hand dyed muslin. I dyed them myself about 10 years ago in my college fiber arts class. I think it's pretty cool that my sweet girl will be creating beautiful artwork while wearing some of her momma's creations--past and present.

I also had the opportunity to use my sewing machine in a way I haven't before, to "draw" with thread. It was challenging but fun. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

I've yet to convince the Bug to try it on. She is fickle and uncooperative when it comes to her momma's sewing projects. Ah well, I think it's beautiful. And hopefully it will inspire her creativity as well!

~Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING ART SMOCK EVER, EVER, EVER! I LOVE YOUR HAND DYED MATERIAL!!! I LOVE THE BIRD!!! I LOVE CAPS LOCK!!! :) SO GOOD!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please talk your niece into liking it? I want to know if it's going to fit but she won't try it on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one. Of course I think I would be afraid to mess it up when I paint.

    ReplyDelete