Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Gift 1: Lunch bag for Mom

Years and years ago when I was just a crazy college kid I made a lunch bag for my Mom out of fabric I dyed in my fiber arts class. She used it everyday to take her lunch with her to work. But I was in college a long time ago and that bag has been well used. Mom has been subtly hinting that a new bag would be appreciated.

So, Merry Christmas Mom!!

This lunch bag is loosely based off of a paper bag. It's a pattern that's super easy to make. I got the basic idea and dimensions from this post at Skip to My Lou.

I love it in this linen fabric. All slouchy and paper bag-ish!
And check out that button! I think it's my favorite part. I found it at JoAnn's the day after Thanksgiving and I'm kicking myself for not picking up more of them.
And that button loop? It's a little girls hair elastic. Genius. I wish I could remember whose blog I read that tip on. I would like to thank them personally for being so creative and thinking outside of the box. Whomever you were, you rock!

On the front I stitched the word "Lunch" in red with a basic back stitch.

And on the back, what we all hope our lunches will be, Yummy!

I am really loving what a special touch just a little bit of embroidery will add to a project. This is nothing fancy, I just wrote the words on the fabric with a disappearing ink pen and stitched them in! Easy peasy.

Here's the inside, a sweet daisy vintage print straight from my grandmother's attic. What a neat personal detail to be able to include! Thank you Grandma!!

And wait, do you see what I see? There's a button in there. . .

Is this bag. . .no it can't be. . . .

Yes! Yes!! It is!!

Reversible!!

Of course!

I hope you love it Mom and that it serves you as well as the first one did!

Merry Christmas!!

~Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. Favorite line "mom has been subtly hinting" is that possible? :) Love the bag and the buttons! I don't know what I am going to use mine on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so adorable! You are so thoughtful. The linen is perfect, and the vintage floral looks so cute with it. That hair elastic tip is great! I can use that on my next coffee press cozy. How do you get it to stay stitched in, though? That thin elastic always slips out of the seam for me.

    ReplyDelete