Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Top

The Bug needed something to go with her cute little Christmas skirt and I wasn't digging the look of the sweater that I'd intended for her to wear with it.

Enter this little Christmas procrastination project.

I'd seen the tutorial for this peasant blouse on blueprints a while back but honestly, I passed it up because the fabric she used just wasn't my thing. Yes, I am that superficial.

But then I saw these dresses made from the aforementioned tutorial and quickly saw the error of my ways. Bam! Wouldn't you know it, this shirt idea worked it's way into my brain and I couldn't stop until it was done.

The Bug hates it.
But I'm getting used to that.
She will wear it anyway. Because I'm the Mom and I said so.

I did all of the stitching in red to make it extra Christmas-y. And, to be honest, because I didn't want to spend the extra two minutes it would have taken to wind a bobbin with green thread. But it works, right? (Please tell me it works)

The inspiration for the ornament applique came from the girls at crafterhours (gotta love the name of that blog!). I like that she embroidered the ornament tops and string but I just didn't have that kind of time so I simply stitched a red line from each ornament to the top of the shirt.

I like it. I will most definitely be using this tutorial again with a few tweaks. I have visions of dresses made of some of the vintage fabrics from my grandma's stash. But those will have to wait. There are two more Christmas presents for two special little boys yet to be made and a baby quilt that still needs some quilting. . .

I'd best get busy.

Merry Christmas to all!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the shout-out! I love this top (and not just because that's my favorite christmas fabric either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is completely adorable and belongs in a boutique!

    ReplyDelete