Friday, December 18, 2009

Dresses for Christmas

I could not find a single store bought dress I liked for the Bug's Christmas dress this year. I am afraid this is the beginning of a dangerous trend where I look at everything in the stores and think, "I could do that myself".

Dangerous because what mother of a two year old has the time to craft an entire wardrobe? O.k., maybe some do but I don't.

So I found this sweater in my pile of clothes that just don't fit right and it looked so nice with this Figgy Pudding print I had. . . . and my brain started envisioning a cute little bubble skirt. . .

Here's the results.
My reviews are mixed, to be honest. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

I've been fighting with this dress for over a month. I finally just surrendered, finished stitching the lace on the collar and called it done. I really can't put my finger on what I don't like about it. I guess it just doesn't quite live up to the picture I had in my head.

I do like the little pleat in the front and the puff to the sleeves.

And the bubble, while not as bubbly as I'd hoped, is cute. I still really love that fabric. Very festive and fun.


The sweater fabric is soft at least and should be quite comfortable IF I can get the Bug to wear it.



Moving right along. . .
I've been wanting to try my hand at an upcycled tee shirt dress for a while and when I saw this circus tee at Goodwill I knew I had found my muse.

I based this loosely on the dresses made by Lil' Blue Boo. She is amazing and so stinking creative. And she has a daughter who actually poses for pictures. . . but I digress.


Here's the back. I love that the picture is just a little different on the back than it is on the front.


The Bug adores this one. She wanted to put it on the moment she saw it, which just happened to be last night after her bath (thus the wet hair and bare feet).

She thought it was just perfect for a little Wii time with Daddy. So comfortable and easy to move around in.

(Don't worry, I fixed the issue of the too long sleeve by just turning it up a bit and stitching it under. It now fits perfectly.)

Hooray! I finally have a hit with this discerning critic!! Her Daddy approves too. Said it's his favorite thing I've made for her so far. I'm glad they both like it because I have a huge pile of old tee shirts that could stand to be upcycled!

4 comments:

  1. I love the lace around the collar of the Christmas dress! Very cute.
    The t-shirt dress looks like pajamas to me - I think I will need to see that one in person...if only I got to see you guys this weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, I think the jammie look is exentuated by the fact that she is fresh out of the tub. When she put it on this morning with her socks and shoes and hair all done up it did look more "dress-like". It is really cute. If I do say so myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great! Disclaimer: my daughter does NOT pose for photos. I have to take about 400 to get just ONE! I usually take her to the park so she thinks we are playing ;) I LOVE that circus print! Where do I get that tee from?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this! That circus tee was the find of the century!

    ReplyDelete