Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Day Cookies!

I have never been a big fan of the Hallmark holiday that occurs every February.

But somehow, having a little one changes things. All of a sudden I'm seeing all of these great V-day related crafts floating around the www and I'm wanting to do them all!! And then reality sets in and I realize I don't have the time, energy or resources to do everything. So I pick ONE thing.

Cookies!
(yes I realize cookies have nothing to do with sewing, but they are creative are they not? And I don't have any completed sewing projects to report right now so cut a girl some slack.)

Recipie, via Martha, is idiot proof. And yes, I am the idiot with the proof.

FYI, if you add to much milk and your dough is too sticky, a little extra flour will rectify the problem without adverse effects on the final product. Just in case you were wondering.
I got these cookie cutters for Christmas and I LOVE them. On next year's wish list? A piping bag. See my fancy plastic storage bag with the corner nipped off? Yeah, just barely worked.
This was my first time making and using royal icing to "flood" the cookies. Used Martha's recipe here too. The marbled designs were inspired by some Christmas cookies I saw on a blog months ago and didn't have time to try then. The heart design in particular is my favorite on these cookies, though I didn't get a picture.

The initial cookies are for the kids in the Bug's day care class. I am going to feel like a very amazing super mom putting those in the kids cubbies tomorrow morning.

Go Super Mom!
And here is my "helper".

Reminds me of that song my mom used to sing (mostly to Michelle, of course), "and some kind of help is the kind of help, we all could do without". . .
But what's a little extra mess when you've got that face, right?

Don't tell her, but she could have covered the whole darn kitchen in flour and I would have forgiven her.

Silly Bug.

~Lindsay

P.S. Have we mentioned that Michelle is a tax accountant and therefore working absolutely insane hours right now? Just in case anyone was worried that she was trapped in the rubble of this morning's Chicago earthquake or floating with the fishies in Lake Michigan. She is alive and well, just busy number crunching until Tax Day!

2 comments:

  1. Cute little flour bug (not fire plug). Did you get the news account I sent you about the earthquake? They reported that there were no injuries or damges reported, so we know 'Chelle was OK. But, thanks for the reassurance. =D
    ><>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those marbled cookies! I need to get on our cookie-baking. Alas, I spent my evening peeling crayons for the MS crayon heart craft.

    What exactly has become of us??

    ReplyDelete