Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Special Little Girl deserves...

First of all - I should thank my sister for holding down the blog fort for the both of us for the past 6 months. I feel that I owe some explanation - for the first four months of the year I was in tax land then after that my husband and I decided it might be time to move into our own place...so now that I am settled (and have a room for my sewing not just a corner) I will come back to the blog and let you know what I have been up to.
These darling little feet belong to the recently arrived daughter of a close friend of mine. I had grand plans to make EVERY baby project I saw for this little one...but what actually got accomplished was this:
The pattern/idea came from the book One Yard Wonders (a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law - she gives great gifts.) It was the first project I have tried from the book.

I did have some set backs along the way. I had a terrible time trying to get the birds on top of the ring to stand upright. At first I tried to sew it on with clear thread - but they wouldn't stay upright and I just couldn't get the stitches tight enough - so plan B...fabric glue. There was a bit of residue around the ring - and didn't look as clean as the stitching alone would have - but you can't give a mobile of "dead" birds dangling from the ring to a baby!

I also had a terrible time with the clear tread tangling. It was apparent that there was going to be great frustrations in transporting the mobile to the hospital and then great frustration when they go it home.
So I found some twine that I had laying around and used that to attach the birds to the ring.
The twine provided a new texture to the mobile and I think it made it look a little more "crafty"/"folksy."
One last detail - you may notice the material I used is the same as what was used in the SURPRISE Apron. But more importantly - after doing a little sleuthing I learned that my friend's sister had made a baby quilt from the same material. As well as carrying some of the fabrics patterns on a larger scale in paintings she did.
I originally cut the bird pieces out of a different (pink) fabric - but when I saw the opportunity to match I knew that I needed to scrap the original material.
The best part came when my friend opened the gift and was very pleased and she mentioned that a mobile was the one thing she had not had and was "stressing" a little. Every new baby needs a mobile. In the end all the clear thread frustration was worth it! And even if it hadn't been - I was holding a 2 day old baby, so there was no way I could stay frustrated long.
~Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Cute, cute, cute!! Although I almost didn't make it past the baby feet. I am a sucker for itty bitty toes.

    Welcome back sis! :)

    ReplyDelete