Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Apron Knot Dress

After a friend asked me to make one of these dresses for her daughter, I bought this pattern from Little Lizard King.  I thought maybe I could wing the pattern myself, but sizing always makes me nervous.  So I talked myself into buying a pattern.  I liked the look of this finished dress better than some of the other apron knot dress patterns on Etsy but I was a little nervous buying a pattern cold turkey.
But I was pleasantly surprised.  The pattern was very thorough and had lots of pictures illustrating each step. I think traditional pattern companies could take a lesson from these modern PDF pattern makers.
The dress went together really well.  I used French seams throughout. Next time I think I will forgo the French seam to attach the skirt. It's just a little bulky.  I don't like having raw seams visible though, so I would lengthen the bodice lining so I could just iron the raw edge under and hand sew it down to cover and finish that seam.
The only issue I had was with the buttonhole foot on my machine. It kept coming up against the bulk of the skirt seam and getting stuck. I know my sister loves that foot, but dang, I just never seem to get it right. No problem though. In the end I decided to just hand finish the button holes with a bit of embroidery floss I had lying around.  I really like the way it looks and after the frustration with the buttonhole foot it was nice to just slow down a little and do some handwork.

I happened into JoAnn's $1 Simplicity pattern sale this weekend so I picked up a baby dress pattern with bloomers (among other patterns! One dollar is a STEAL!!).  Here is where my frustration really comes in. After using the PDF pattern, the standard pattern was a real downgrade. I am so spoiled by the photo heavy on-line patterns and tutorials. And it seemed like their sizing was WAY off. Twenty-two inches of elastic for the waist of an 18 month pair of bloomers?? Um, no. I cut it down to about 18" but even so the bloomers look large. I guess we will wait and see if they fit and go from there.

This dress is a special order for a friend but I think I be making more.  I'm thinking a Christmas dress for the Bug is in order. Though Little Lizzard has a new pattern coming, The Little Princess Ruffle Dress, that is speaking to me. I can just see all those ruffles in silk duponini some other such luxurious fabric. So we shall see. A girl can never have too many cute dresses, right?

~Lindsay

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Your Mom and Grandmother thought the same thing (never too many cute dresses). That's why you had so many Polly Flinders dresses when you were little. =D
    ><>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the horrors of traditional sewing patterns. As a reference, my daughter who will be 4 this week uses 18 inches of elastic around her waist, including seam allowances. I think kids' measurements are always a bit skewed because most patterns don't take into account that they wear their waistbands below their belly bump, not on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pattern is leaving room for a diaper. Even still the pattern looks like long bloomers. There has to be something online! Or it not, bloomers shouldn't be too hard to figure out on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it. can't wait to get it on ms. ruby. of course i also had to click on the little lizard link and saw that princess ruffle dress. oh my, it is adorable. i may need one of those too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I love your fabric choices! Very, very cute. Second, thank you for such a kind tribute!!

    I will definitely need testers for the ruffle dress. It's going to be a while before the pattern is ready. I'm going to include three versions. Super ruffle, medium ruffle, and a little ruffle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am loving the pdf pattern sellers. Who doesn't want an accompanying 26 full colour photo tute (for example) with their pattern?

    Also, normally I don't link to my own stuff, but I do have a tute for machined buttonholes without a special foot. NOT to say that I don't like your hand stitched one, because I do, and I like that you added how it took you out of the project for a second. But just in case you want to check it out: http://untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-manual-machine-buttonholes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in complete agreement with your statement, "I think traditional pattern companies could take a lesson from these modern PDF pattern makers." I've become very partial to online tutorials and PDF patterns. I'm using a store-bought pattern right now and miss having all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete