I promised the Bug a backpack for her first day in the threes class at daycare. It didn't happen. Homegirl refused to go to bed Sunday night and seriously cut into my sewing time. But I burned the midnight oil last night in order to have it done for her second day.
She was thrilled.
Although other than this slightly blurry attempt above all of my other photos look like this:
Little Miss Attitude was "cold". In August. Whatever.
Let's just look at the bag itself shall we?
I used the "Let's Go!" backpack tutorial on Sew Mamma Sew for this. I don't know if it's just because it was late and I was tired, but I found the tutorial to be a good guide but inaccurate, a little mixed up and unclear in spots. After reading through the comments, I'm guessing it was operator error on my part. I need to go back and read through it again when I've had more sleep.
At any rate, there were some new techniques and methods I learned. Like this drawstring casing. I like that it is a separate piece of fabric, sewn in as you are finishing the bag. I wouldn't have thought to do that on my own but I like the way it accents at the top.
I will eventually make a fabric drawstring for it. It's just, at 11 pm I was looking to cut corners to speed the process along and that cotton twine was looking mighty good.
I've never done adjustable straps so that was a good learning process. In hindsight, I should have made them shorter. Even adjusted to their smallest size they are still to big for the Bug. All I had was gold hardware. I don't love it, but it works. I wish I could find the plastic stuff.
Overall, I'm pleased with the back pack. I wish I had used a simpler print for the front of the bag. I think that "Chocolate Lollipop" piece paired with the "Hunky Dory" is just too busy. I had a hard time visualizing how the pieces were going to go together as I was cutting them out. In hindsight, I should have laid all the pieces out once they were cut just to get a visual of the final bag. But again, I was in hurry. My bad. I'd say, "lesson learned" but it probably wasn't.
But, the busy patterns are fitting for a busy almost pre-schooler and the Bug loves it. That's what really matters in the end.