Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cupcakes and Polka Dots

A friend requested this dress for her daughter's first birthday party.
The theme, obviously, is cupcakes and polka dots! So sweet.
The dots are from my stash--a Christmas gift from Michelle last year. Thanks sis! I have used them in a lot of projects. The designer escapes me right now.
The cupcakes are from the Confections line by Caleb Gray for Robert Kauffman.  Don't they look delicious?

The paneled skirt was a happy accident when I cut the skirt panels a little too narrow. I had wanted a full skirt anyway so I cut those oopsie panels in half and cut equal sized panels in the dots. I love the result. And I could pretend like it was intentional but I think there is a lot of value in being humble and admitting your mistakes. Not to mention being able to salvage them and turn them into something wonderful.  That whole process is one of my favorite things about sewing. 
This is the best part of the whole dress.
Sweet girls name hand embroidered on her own yummy cupcake and frosting of nylon chiffon that looks almost good enough to eat.

Happy first birthday sweet Kylee!

~Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. It does look good enough to eat! Thank you so much Lindsay. I will send you pics of the birthday girl in it as soon as I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is ADORABLE! Do you sell these by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, you can e-mail me at 402CenterStreet@gmail.com to discuss special orders. My hunch is that this particular fabric might be out of print and therefore hard to come by, but we can try!
      ~Lindsay

      Delete