Monday, November 1, 2010

Princess Overload

The Bug's fourth and final opportunity to wear her Cinderella dress proved to be too much. She couldn't be bothered with tights and pettiskirts and glass slippers.

She wanted to be a "cooker". So she put on her adorable chef's hat and apron and off we went to the fall carnival at her school.  

The hat and apron were made lovingly by Aunt Michelle and were a Christmas gift last year. In true fashion, the Bug refused to wear them. For a good six months. But all of a sudden they have gained the favor they deserved from the beginning.  She is an adorable "cooker" is she not? Even eating the delicacies of hot dogs and string cheese. . .

~Lindsay
I must say - when Lindsay told me the above story - my heart was warmed! I knew that the initial hat and apron rejection at Christmas time was nothing personal but merely a whim of a(n adorable) 3 year old. But to hear that her whim has finally come around to this "costume" really made my day.  Mind you I have seen pictures of the Bug's play dates enjoying the wears, but all I really wanted was a picture of that sweet little face under an over sized "cooker" hat. I must say this is more than I could have expected - I mean that Cinderella costume was out of this world in my book (and in all the kind people's books who I would show the picture to, and say "Isn't see the most beautiful Cinderella you have ever seen?")
Does this picture look like a muffin to you?
I was making aprons for everyone last Christmas - you may not have known because I never blogged about any of them (mostly because I never got pictures of the people wearing them - and no one wants to read a blog without pictures - at least not one about a sewing project.)  Anyway - not to leave the Bug out (and knowing that Santa had brought her a play kitchen) I thought I would make an apron for her as well.  When looking for a child's apron pattern I came across this: YouCanMakeThis.com pattern.  The chef hat was impossible to refuse! The pattern was super easy to follow and to execute.  The only change I made was to add stiff interfacing to the brim (is it called a brim on a chefs hat?) Anyway, that allowed to hat to set up like I wanted. Do you recognize this hat from anywhere?
The apron I free styled - completely - no pattern, no sizing. That was a big reason I wanted the Bug to try it on - I had NO idea how it was going to fit. Now that I can see pictures of it on - I think it fits pretty well - remarkably.
Isn't the fabric darling? I saw the Alexander Henry - Lorenza collection in peach/guava I knew I needed to make something for the Bug out of it - so glad she is finally wearing it.

~Michelle




Photobucket






No comments:

Post a Comment