Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Popover Sundress

Saturday night I had several hours to myself and a serious itch to get back in the sewing room.  Summer sewing has proven difficult with all the other worthy things vying for my attention. And holy cow, the weeds in the garden just never stop do they?

But Saturday was all about sewing. I had wanted to try the oliver + s pop over sundress and I had the perfect vision in mind.  Two hours later I had a super cute dress for the Bug and a new favorite pattern. Seriously, this one is so simple and so cute!
To say the Bug was thrilled to wear it to church Sunday would be an understatement.
Check her out, cheesing it up for the camera! I usually can't even get her to look at me.
The dress was super cute and easy as is but I knew the Bug would need pockets so I added those as well as the three red buttons.  I also used some extra binding on the hem instead of finishing it in the traditional way. I like the way the yellow carries through from top to bottom.

I already have visions for more of these in different fabrics.  You can't go wrong with something so cute and easy! I just might need to ignore those weeds.

~Lindsay

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grandma's Quilt

I have inherited this quilt. It belonged to my grandparents and if I understand correctly, it was their wedding quilt.
First, the good:
I love the simple, classic blue and white.
And the hand quilting is gorgeous.  I can't imagine the time involved.
And now the bad and the ugly:
This quilt was used and loved so it is worn.
Most of the wear is around the border of the quilt, but it is significant.


The prarie point border is almost completely gone. So sad.

I am hoping to one day have this quilt restored. How I would love to pass it down to the Bug on her wedding day!

~Lindsay

Lunch Bag for Dr. Z

Just a simple little project for a friend who needed something a little prettier than a plastic sack to carry her lunch in.
The fabric is from the Happy Daisy line from Urban Chicks.  I have a thing for the design styling of those Urban Chicks I think.  I didn't even realize this was more of their handiwork until I cut off the selvages and noticed the cute little chicks all in a row.  I just saw that the Fat Quarter Shop had it marked down 50% a few days ago and knew I had to have some.  I do love that little Fat Quarter Shop.  Especially because their shipping is so darn fast!!
I made the bag reversible because we both decided that this floral was a little odd, but that we were strangely drawn to it.  Since it might be little much for everyday, I gave her options. When she's just not feeling the Marion, the Blue Bamboozle side will do!

This bag has a little more structure than the lunch sack I made for my Mom for Christmas because I found some thermal interfacing at JoAnn's that I knew would be great for this.  The buttons are vintage, simple red plastic shank buttons from my Grandma's button jar.  They match the slightly muted color tone of this fabric beautifully.

All in all, a lunch bag fit for the beautiful, sweet, genius Dr. Z. I'm glad you love it, friend!

~Lindsay

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Special Little Girl deserves...

First of all - I should thank my sister for holding down the blog fort for the both of us for the past 6 months. I feel that I owe some explanation - for the first four months of the year I was in tax land then after that my husband and I decided it might be time to move into our own place...so now that I am settled (and have a room for my sewing not just a corner) I will come back to the blog and let you know what I have been up to.
These darling little feet belong to the recently arrived daughter of a close friend of mine. I had grand plans to make EVERY baby project I saw for this little one...but what actually got accomplished was this:
The pattern/idea came from the book One Yard Wonders (a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law - she gives great gifts.) It was the first project I have tried from the book.

I did have some set backs along the way. I had a terrible time trying to get the birds on top of the ring to stand upright. At first I tried to sew it on with clear thread - but they wouldn't stay upright and I just couldn't get the stitches tight enough - so plan B...fabric glue. There was a bit of residue around the ring - and didn't look as clean as the stitching alone would have - but you can't give a mobile of "dead" birds dangling from the ring to a baby!

I also had a terrible time with the clear tread tangling. It was apparent that there was going to be great frustrations in transporting the mobile to the hospital and then great frustration when they go it home.
So I found some twine that I had laying around and used that to attach the birds to the ring.
The twine provided a new texture to the mobile and I think it made it look a little more "crafty"/"folksy."
One last detail - you may notice the material I used is the same as what was used in the SURPRISE Apron. But more importantly - after doing a little sleuthing I learned that my friend's sister had made a baby quilt from the same material. As well as carrying some of the fabrics patterns on a larger scale in paintings she did.
I originally cut the bird pieces out of a different (pink) fabric - but when I saw the opportunity to match I knew that I needed to scrap the original material.
The best part came when my friend opened the gift and was very pleased and she mentioned that a mobile was the one thing she had not had and was "stressing" a little. Every new baby needs a mobile. In the end all the clear thread frustration was worth it! And even if it hadn't been - I was holding a 2 day old baby, so there was no way I could stay frustrated long.
~Michelle