Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quilts in Progress (Spoiler Alert to my sisters!!)

Warning!
If you are my sister Michelle or my sister in law Heidi and you do not want to see your quilt, close your eyes! Shut down your browser! Stop scrolling! Do not read any farther!



Are they gone??
Whew!



So I promised my Sister in Law a lap quilt about a year ago.
The top has been done for months but I've been waging an internal debate over how to quilt it.

There is no denying my fierce love of hand quilting.
I love doing it.
I love the way it looks.
But I have a love/hate relationship with the time it takes. I don't mind taking the time to do it but I feel a little bad making people wait for their quilt. I'm not a fast quilter. I go in spurts. I inevitably miss gifting deadlines because of it.
But my Sister in law is gracious and told me to take my time.
So, hand quilting won out once again.
After I found this AMH tutorial I knew that was it. It seemed like a happy medium of sorts, quilting with embroidery floss and bigger stitches felt like it wouldn't take nearly as much time as the more traditional needle and thread. 
I really, really love the look of it.
I'm just simply stitching around each square with a sort of random color pattern.

Browns and greens and yellows just like this Dewberry Deer Valley fabric.
And here's how those squares are looking on the back.
Super cool.
I can't wait to see how it looks once it's finished and I can wash it.
This may be my new go-to quilting method.

I really, really love making quilts. Oh to have unlimited time and resources. . .

I also promised a housewarming throw to my sister and her husband. I finally got started piecing that one last week.
My first stack of blocks turned out really well I think.
I'm using the OhFransson tutorial for the crazy nine patch.

Elizabeth Hartman rocks my world. If you are a fan of modern quilting her blog is a must read and her book was one of my favorite Christmas gifts this year. Love.It.
The fabric I used for these is the High Society line by Khristin Howell and it is perfecto for the Waggoner orange and grey living room.

I did have to sneak in a print from my stash (the orange base with the white, yellow and grey leaves) because I only had eight from High Society and I needed nine unique fabrics for these blocks. I couldn't believe how well it fit and the colors matched though.

I'm really not sure how I'm going to assemble this one. I don't love the lattice design that Hartman uses for her Crazy Nine Patch quilt but all these crazy squares side by side are a bit too busy even for me. So we'll wait and see. For now, I am loving making these random wonky blocks. So fun. And such a great result. I'm excited to see where it leads!

~Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Goosebumps again!! These are so gorgeous!! I absolutely love the handquilting. I would wait three years for a quilt like that. Definitely worth the time. Beautiful work again, Lindsay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not good at following directions, I did read on...sorry!
    Jessica is right - having already received a quilt from you - they are well work the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, you are too sweet. :)

    Shell, I said if you didn't want a sneak peek. So, obviously you didn't want a surprise. No big deal. :)

    ReplyDelete