Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What I did on President's Day

It happens once a year.
The hubs has to work and the Bug has school but the library is closed.
I Love President's Day.
I'm sorry George, but it's what I call a "Me" day and I look forward to it like you wouldn't believe.

This year I had determined that I would go thrifting. It's not something you can do well with a three year old in tow. Nor a husband really. The perfect "me" day activity.

So I dropped the Bug off at school and braved the ice in search of treasures.  The day did not disappoint. I found a thrift store that somehow in eleven year here I have never known about. Not that I'm an avid thrifter. If I were, I probably would have found thethriftshopper.com long ago.  Pretty nifty little site I must say. I especially appreciate the reviews. One reviewer said that a store in our area always smelled of ammonia. I appreciate that warning, it would have been a waste of time to go there.

What in the world did we do before the internet?
After a quick trip to WalMart I hit up Goodwill just in time for a 75% off sale on most of their vintage sheets. Score! That top one is my favorite. So colorful. It's a little rough around the edges but it was 50 cents. Can.Not.Beat.That.
I also found these very retro curtain panels. There were four panels and a valance. I bought them all. It was the turquoise blue that got me. And the sunshiney yellow. So happy and bright.

Feeling pretty darn good about life I paid my bill at Goodwill and headed out toward the Depot Thrift Shops. I had no idea what to expect once I got there. I think I was expecting something in a church basement and grumpy old church ladies and the smell of mothballs. That was so not the case.

At first glance, it was the most neatly kept thrift store I have ever been in though I wasn't super impressed with their stock and their inventory seemed a bit lower than a Goodwill or Salvation Army store.

And then I saw the sign.
I can't be sure but I think maybe the heavens parted and an angel choir sang.

FABRIC

In big letters.
My heart skipped a beat and I tried to nonchalantly meander my way over without letting anyone see my excitement. Why I thought anyone would care, I don't know. Sometimes I'm just weird like that.

Rolls of upholstery fabric. Piles of yardage. Spools of lace and trim. And notions. . . oh the notions. . .
Fabric $1 a yard. Trim a quarter.
Are you kidding me??? Remind me why I didn't grab a cart.
Little baggies of lace were 50 cents. Fiddy Cents, my friend.
And there is at least a yard in each one.
Vintage trims. Yes please.
I bought every last inch of that floral.
It feels like a shoelace. But it's so darn cute.
The pom poms were too crazy cool to pass up. 4 yards please. I was showing restraint, there were at least four more on the bolt.

And seam binding. I can't tell you how irked I am that I walked away with only three packages of seam binding. A nasty lady pushed in and snatched up almost all of it while I was distracted with the lace below. 
O.k., she probably was a very nice lady and considering our shared interest in sewing we probably COULD have struck up a lovely conversation had I not been so busy glaring icy daggers at her hoping she would take the hint and put back the binding.
She did not.
I need to work on my glare.
To go with my pom pom trim I picked up this graphic print.
I am just now realizing how reminiscent of my first 4-H sewing project this is.
I'm not sure what to say.
It's probably unforgivable.
But I like it.
And then there were these.
A French Curve.
Oh how I have been wanting one. 
And a pants ruler. Which I didn't know existed or that I needed until I saw it sitting on the shelf.

So do I know how to use them? 
No.
But I will learn.
Someday.
I promise.

I was so giddy when I got home.
Completely and totally geeked out.
More poor husband may or may not have gotten several dorky text messages from his overly excited wife.
I have issues.
Thankfully, it waited to do this until after I got home.
Darn you winter.

At least I have plenty of sewing to do until the snow clears and the grass turns green again!

~Lindsay

4 comments:

  1. You're not dorky - you're REAL! Been there-done that, so I guess I'm dorky too! Yeah!

    Super fun - hope to see many "fruits" of your treasures in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. You really did score! I love all of that trim, and the curtain panels are adorable, and I too have been longing for a French curve. My mom brought me some great fabric finds last year from the depot stores. Looks like I need to try them out for myself sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may steal the striped bias tape. SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your day, love your loot, love your pillowcases. :) Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete