Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Mermaid Party

The big party has come and gone. The dust has settled. The decorations have come down. And I'm beginning to recover.
It all began with this sweet invitation, designed by my friend Ally.
It looks wonky because I used my mad (non-existent) Photoshop skills to "erase" the pertinent personal info.  Not that I don't want y'all calling or visiting. . . but . . . 
The Bug wanted to be The Mermaid for a day. 
I searched and searched for mermaid tail making ideas online and finally came across this one from Heather Bailey which was my inspiration.
I found both of the main fabrics on clearance at JoAnn's. Major score! The skirt is a slightly fuzzy knit with sequins sewn throughout. It shines and glitters just like water as she moves.
The tail is a sparkly satin.  I put a layer of batting in between to give it some dimension.

It's a simple gathered skirt with a yoga style fold over waist band so it should fit for a long time.
 I used green rick rack to hang little satin fish all the way around. You know, to make it feel more like water.
The favor bags included a few sea shells, some bubbles, a wand, a few snacks and this super adorable mermaid doll.

My sister is my hero.
I really wanted to make a doll for each girl but I knew I wasn't going to have time.  She came though and made seven of the cutest little mermaids you ever did see. Each one with hair and eye color to match the girl it was going home with.

I don't need to tell you these little dolls were the hit of the party do I?
Decorations were also assigned to Aunt Michelle.
She ruffled the streamers.
Yes.She.Did.
She's a sucker for an over the top party too, don't let her fool you.

And she has promised to blog about the process for both the mermaids and the streamers, so you have that to look forward to.
And here is the spread of food.
No, I did not invite an army. I just planned for one.
The table cloth is one I've been eyeing for a long time and finally bit the bullet. I love it. And I love that it's a special little thing we can pull out every year as we celebrate.
We had blue Jello in cups with little Swedish fish and this blue punch.
One little girl thought the bubbles were soap. That made me laugh.
Just sherbet Sweetie! I promise no soap.
I found some great ideas on-line at Family Fun. This little banana octopus was one of them. And the fruit in waffle cones was a Pinterest find. I thought the cones looked like shells. Is that a stretch? 

I also made a whole lot of fruity candy popcorn in pink and blue. And I do mean a whole lot.
There were shells and water drops (glass beads) scattered all over the table.
The fish dish was on Clearance at Hobby Lobby.  I almost bought them all but then reason won out. This one little guy was great for holding some Swedish fish.

In the background there are goldfish crackers with a blue dip that I made up on the fly so, no you can't have the recipe because I don't know the recipe.  But it was gone by the end of the night so it must have been good!
I tried to pick foods that the Bug likes, especially on the veggie tray.
Yes, my four year old likes radishes. At least in theory. These were a bit too peppery for her.
And finally, the Pièce de résistance! 
The Hubs put on every last one of those mermaid scales (M & M's). You rock Babe!

I am not a cake decorator but I was pretty pleased with the results of this. And the Bug was giddy excited when she saw it. Though I did catch some flack that the hair was blonde and not red.  She did request an ARIEL cake after all.
After we all ate, it was present time.
We bought the Bug a bike about a month ago and that was supposed to be her early Birthday gift.
But I couldn't resist attempting to make her an Ariel princess dress.
She's been asking for one for ages.

It's a little big and a little "off". I debated even sharing it here because I don't love it. As you can see, I don't even have any good pictures of it.  But, the Bug was absolutely tickled to finally have her Ariel dress.  And now we have two possible Halloween options, right?

Except that she announced prior to her party that Jasmine is now her favorite princess.
I see Harem pants in my future.

~Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You are the coolest mom ever! Fantastic job at making a little girls' dreams come true. I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holyyyyyyyyyy Cowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I am in awe. I am so glad in this moment that Ruby does not read nor blog-surf. Oh, my poor kids... ;)

    Linds - this is fantastic! Way, way fun! And your last line cracked me up. AND (no, not done yet) Michelle is the bomb for whipping up those dolls!

    Happy Birthday, Lily Girl!

    ReplyDelete