Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crafting Hope

Our sewing group met again last week. 
This month we sewed little dresses and bandanna shorts for Haiti.
Since last time I posted that super cute photo of Jessica (to her chagrin) this month I give you a photo of myself. 
I gave my camera to the grand-daughter of one of our sewers to help keep her occupied and boy was it fun to see what she deemed photo worthy!
Liz from Little Lizard King patterns was sweet enough to give us a pattern to work with!
I love that spirit of generosity! Thanks so much Liz!

Please go check out her shop. Her patterns are super cute and there are several that are perfect for beginners.
We chose the Catie dress because of it's simplicity. Cute, quick and easy! I can't recommend it enough!
We didn't want to neglect the sweet little Haitian boys though, so we also made bandanna pants/shorts. The pattern we used was straight out of the Craft Hope book.

And we decided that there needs to be a little more quality control in bandanna making factories! Who knew, but no two bandannas are the same size? In fact, they are quite irregular. It made things an itty bit more difficult, not gonna lie.
This is one of the coolest things, in my opinion, about these sewing nights.  We have three generations participating.  Granddaughter is learning from mom (not pictured) and grandma.  I have such a soft spot for this handing down of the sewing bug since it was my own grandmother and mother who taught me to sew. Makes me tear up a little when I think about it.
I tried to get Jessica to model this little dress like she did the bib but she's onto me.
How cute is it that dress? She came with that striped fabric that she has had a hard time matching and I came with the green that I've had a hard time matching to anything and shazaam! They were perfect for each other!
And here is a pair of finished shorts!
The super cool thing is that this is the first item of clothing she has ever made!
I do love the "giving" aspect of gathering together and making items to donate. I think that's a really neat thing.
But even more than that, I love that several of the participants are new sewers. It's such a joy to share something I love so much with friends and then to see that moment when they see what they've made and are so proud.  That's what it's about for me. 
The real joy is in the sharing.

Thanks ladies for coming back each month and for all the work you are putting into this.  You girls rock!

~Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for all the work you do to bring us together and keep us sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these!! Please let me know the next time you have a gathering!! Thank you so much for making a difference, and I love that sewing is sharing and learning and giving. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

    (Am I allowed to just cry for every one of these that I miss??)

    Love these projects and your comment about Jess cracked my business UP!

    ReplyDelete