Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Weekend Traveler Dress

This past weekend the Bug and I hopped on a train and rode up to visit Aunt Michelle.
I thought. . . big city, new surroundings. . . I'll get some great photos of this new dress for the blog!
But instead, we got wrapped up in this. . .
Playing, playing and more playing.

So forgive me, these photos aren't perfect and staged but I think what they are is a great testimony to the comfort and wearability of this little dress.
The fabric is a cute little coral colored stripe knit that I found on clearance at JoAnn's.  It's so soft and light weight!  

My new favorite thing to do at fabric stores is to search the clearance bolts for cheap knits. For all the fabric I have inherited and picked up over the years, my stash of knit is woefully slim!  

The accent fabric is a dark charcoal skinny stripe knit also picked up somewhere on clearance. Hooray for not paying more than you have to!
The dress pattern is mostly my own. I started by lengthening the tank top pattern from this book (love that book!) but I made so many changes along the way it's hardly the same beast.

The heart is simply appliqu├ęd on the front.  It's my favorite little detail.
This photo just makes me laugh. . . but it does give a nice view of the leggings. I was hoping for more of a biker short length but the Bug was in bed and I couldn't measure. I added some elastic ruffle trim at the bottom in lieu of hemming them. Oh how I love the non-fraying properties of knit!  Ultimately, I don't love the ruffle with this so I think I'll cut that off and hem the leggings to a shorter length.

While it's not perfect, I'm pretty pleased with how this little dress turned out.  I don't have a serger so the whole thing was done on my cheap little sewing machine. 

One last little summer dress for the final dog days of summer.
Perfect for our little weekend traveler.

~Lindsay

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! It's my new favorite, Linds! And she wears it oh-so-well. :) I am amazed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I've gotta make something from that book sometime. Last night I had a dream that I got a serger for 50 cents at a garage sale. Ha! That would only happen in a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love clearance fabric too (especially when it doesn't look clearance....and looks like you bought an expensive dress!) So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so comfy and stylish. :) What fun pictures ! I love knits and getting a great price on clearance stuff too.

    ReplyDelete