Thursday, September 22, 2011

A fancy pillowcase dress

A chance meeting in the waiting room at the Bug's ballet studio. . .
A self-proclaimed "blog stalker". . . (that cracked.me.up. Janelle)
Resulted in this sweet little pillowcase dress.
(forgive the crooked picture, it was a windy day and I was trying to snap these before it rained)

This is a Michael Miller damask.  Do you know how hard it is to find nice cotton damask at JoAnns? I think I'm too picky.  But once I saw this one on fabric.com those cheaper ones just wouldn't do.  The pale pink polka dot I did find at JoAnns. I think it's a lovely compliment to the damask and the pink softens it up nicely.
I absolutely love how over the top girly this big pink shoulder bow is.
The Bug would never go for such things. . . but this dress isn't for her so I did what I liked.
I added a sweet little pink ruffle just above the border, you know, in case the big bow wasn't quite girly enough.  I love ruffles.

The things you can't see. . . all interior seams are either French seams or bound seams so that there are no raw edges to fray or get itchy.  I take a lot of pride in those little details.  It makes things just a little more polished.
I also made a cute flower head band to top off the outfit. . . and yes, I cleaned up that glue on the top of the button before it left my house. It's funny the things you don't even see until you get something out in the light.

And do you like how our grass is actually 50% clover? No wonder we have a rabbit problem.

Anyway. . . I've caught wind that this dress has inspired a family photo shoot so I'm off to make coordinating items for the older siblings! How exciting!  And how rewarding to know something you've made is so well loved!

~Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Adorable! I love that ruffle along the bottom, and the headband is so cool! I love how you do those flowers!

    ReplyDelete