Thursday, October 27, 2011

Our little princess. . . well, maybe not this year

For MONTHS the Bug has been telling me she wanted to be Princess Ariel for Trick or Treat.
Which is great because she already has a Princess Ariel dress. . . no last minute costume making stress this year!! Woo hoo!!

Until last weekend, when she informed me she was going to be Dorothy.
Sigh. . .
And she knows me so well that she knows I will almost never turn down a sewing challenge.
Had I a clue about PhotoShop I would have made that road yellow.
You'll just have to use your imagination.
Perhaps a yellow brick wall will do??
I'm not sure what's up with the pose. I think maybe she's calling Glenda or something.
I used the Elizabeth Claire pattern from Little Lizard King as my starting point for the dress since it's a quick, easy sew.
I added the rectangular apron top and straps on my own.  I also added the bias cut band around the waist as a cute little accent.  Just 'cause I was getting cocky with my pattern ad libbing self.
This dress is super roomy and should be a good addition to the dress up bin for years to come.
It's nice, too, because we can add a long sleeved shirt underneath for warmth.
And please note the bias cut band around the hem. It's all in the little details.
I think she likes it.
Hopefully, she likes it enough to actually go door to door this year.
Time will tell if we get the shy Bug or the outgoing Bug Monday night.
And if you've been around a while, you might notice. . . Dorothy is actually a repeat costume for the Bug.
Aunt Michelle made her this supremely adorable dress when she was two.
Hello squishy baby cheeks!! I love you!
That year, she followed the yellow leaf road.
Too cute for words really. 

I love it. And I"m a tiny bit glad our little princess opted out of a princess dress this year because their was no way I was going to top Cinderella.

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment