I finished the Bug's Christmas dress.
Oh yes I did.
One and a half months early. Not that I'm counting. Or bragging.
But, it's not even Thanksgiving yet. . . (patting self on back)
O.k.. . . well. . . truth: I sort of finished the Bug's Christmas dress. This wasn't technically even supposed to work out to be something wearable. I had this free fabric that was mis-sent by fabric.com a while back and I thought, what the heck, I'm going to test this new pattern I bought.
My "muslin" so to speak.
So I did.
And I'm kind of smitten with it.
I didn't love the fabric when it came. I kind of thought it was horrible. Stiff and gaudy and just pure yuckiness.
But in a shiny, sparkley holiday dress I think it's sort of perfect.
What ISN'T perfect is the neck.
Even when the bow is untied it does not fit over the Bugs head.
I'm pretty sure this is my fault and not the fault of the pattern. And it's an easy enough fix, pick off the bow and let out some neck gathers, I just haven't done it yet.
I lined the whole deal with this crazy red polyester old lady fabric (grandma's fabric, the gift that keeps on giving) and I think that pop of Christmas red in there is my very favorite part. The pattern didn't call for any lining but this silver fabric was so stiff and uncomfortable I knew the Bug wouldn't ever wear it without a soft lining added.
This is such a sweet pattern and a quick sew that I'm going to give it another go in some fabric that's a bit nicer and in a color (purple) that I'm pretty much garunteed the Bug will wear. Stay tuned!