Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dewberry Quilt Finished!

Two years later and it's finally done!
Those people who finish a quilt in a weekend amaze me.
I want to be like that. But somehow life gets in the way and here I am dozens of weekends later, finally with a finished product.
The pattern for this quilt came out of the book, "Patchwork Comforters, Throws & Quilts".  It's the quilt on the cover and it caught my eye when it came in at the library. I picked it up right away, eager to flip through and get lots of great ideas. Unfortunately, this was the only quilt design in the whole book that I liked.  Thank goodness it was a library book and not one I purchased.  
The pattern in called Salad and it's a beginner level pattern.  It really is simple, even though it kind of looks complicated.
  The instructions in the book are impeccable.  Very organized and easy to follow.
It took 16 fat quarters and a little over a yard of that green border print to do the front.

The fabric is Joel Dewberry, Deer Valley.  It's an older, discontinued line but still available a few places here and there if you Google it.  This is the Tarragon color way.
This is what takes me so long.  
I adore hand quilting.
This time I used embroidery floss to stitch around each of the center blocks.  
I attempted French knots around the border. (some more successful than others)
I enjoy doing the hand quilting and I love the look of it.
I wish I was better at it.  More consistent stitching. . . faster. . .
But I don't know, I sort of like a quilt to look a little "home made" and imperfect.
In that way, the gift strongly resembles the giver.

And this quilt in particular was a gift for a special sister so the time spent quilting was also a time spent in quiet prayer and reflection.  It's so rare I slow down enough to pray like that.  I think that's part of why I enjoy sewing so much.
The quilt pattern says it measures 71" x 71".  I never did take a final measurement.
The back was pieced out of some of the remaining fat quarters and a bit of yardage.

It arrived at it's new home yesterday.  
A surprise.
One of the best kinds of surprises I think.  One accompanied by a great deal of love.

~Lindsay

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely Gorgeous Linds!!

    You're absolutely right when you say it's one of the best kind of surprises loaded with lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bEAUTIFUL GIFT. I'M SURE SIS WAS THRILLED.HAPPY TO HEAR OTHERS TAKE TIME TO FINALLY FINISH PROJECTS. JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG, I LIKE IT. THE HANDMADE LOOK IS AN EXTRA SPECIAL TOUCH. HEDY KING @GAGGLESPEAK.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fantastic Lindsay. I love the handstitching. Finishing this project must have been the best feeling. :-) I'm sure she LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete