Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vintage Goodies

A few weeks ago a surprise package landed on my doorstep.
It was full of the above amazing goodies.
All from my former 4-H instructor slash little sister's baby sitter.  She said she doesn't sew like she used to and thought maybe I could find a use for these things.
Um. . . yes!!

Needless to say, it made my day.
So thoughtful.
Right now I am still in the phase where I just want to touch and look at the pretty things, but no doubt they will pop up in some projects soon.
(That lace collar is killing me! It demands the perfect little project.)
And then, there would be the spoils from my annual President's Day "Momma's Gone Wild" thrifting spree.
President's Day is the one day a year that I don't work but my husband does and the Bug's daycare is open.
It's my favorite holiday ever.

Above you can see some of my loot.

1.   Vintage rose table cloth. . . too small for any table I own but too pretty to pass up.  I thought it might make for some pretty picnics this summer.

2.   "Home Sweet Home" cross stitch. . . this was on my "to find" list for the day and I found it in the first store! It needs cleaned up a bit and probably re-framed (although I kind of love that someone attempted to nail the cheap frame back together) but I love it.

3.   Some retro plaid yardage found at my favorite little thrift store (because they have a whole section devoted to fabric--though it was slim pickin's this time, I still found plenty).  I love the orange, navy and grey color scheme.  It will make a nice handbag lining or a school girl skirt for the Bug.

4.  Some home made bias tape, found at the same store as the plaid fabric. I have no real plans for it, but I've made bias tape. I know the time it takes and the burnt fingers that come inevitably when you press that much of it. It simply needed me to rescue it.

5.  A terrible copper plaque. And yes I did pay over $3 for it! Crazy? Perhaps. But that butterfly is resting on lilies of the valley and I adore lilies of the valley.  I have special plans for this in the Bug's room once I've given it a good cleaning and few coats of pink spray paint.
5.  Patches. . . Apples and mushrooms. Flashback to childhood. How adorable are they? This is only a couple of them. I bought six of each. I know, that's a lot but there were about 20 of each at the thrift store, so see, I was practicing restraint!

6. Rick rack. . . oh how I love you. . . especially in jumbo size. And oh how the Bug will love that sparkly gold!

7.  Old children's book, "The Happy Lion Roars". . . we need another book in our house like we need a hole in the head. But just look at that happy lion and the way Mrs. Happy Lion is looking at him adoringly and tell me you could have left this book lay?? 
I didn't think so.
8.  Chippy, rusty, green file box. . . . I simply cannot explain my attraction to this but I literally squealed out loud when I found it.  How delighted was I do find that the latch really worked and that there are monthly file dividers inside?  I'm thinking a Pinterest inspired project is in order.  Although rather than a perpetual memory calendar, I'm thinking a perpetual calendar of gratitude.  Wouldn't that be awesome?
Yes. It would.

9.  Little house fabric. . . I can't possibly play favorites, but if you threatened to take away my coffee for all eternity, I might feel cornered enough to tell you this was my favorite find of the day.  I love how graphic it is. And the colors are very "me".
Thoughts on what I should do with it?  There is some decent yardage there.

I think it is a good thing I only have one day a year like this, right?  There is a little piece of me that would love to be that lady that stops in to her favorite thrift stores weekly. . . that knows the cashiers by name, and the sale schedules. . . the lady the hold the "good stuff" back for. . .
I wonder if it would get old for me?
The carts with the squeaky wheels, that indescribable but distinctive musty smell, the weird film that covers everything?

Yes, I think for me absence makes the heart grow fonder.
And having this once a year chance makes the thrill of the hunt that much more exciting.
And so Goodwill and your thrifty friends, I bid you adieu for another year.  Thanks for the good time!  What say we do it again next February?

~Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff!! I think my fave is the jumbo rickrack. That stuff never lasts long on my craft table.

    I love your Presidents Day tradition. So much fun!

    P.S. thanks for the tip on the "Pick Your Plum" site. I scored some cheap bobbypin blanks today for my rosette hair accessories!

    ReplyDelete