Monday, May 14, 2012

Rainbow Party Favors

I promised a run down of other rainbow party details so here we go. . . this is probably my favorite little party project.
I saw these coin purses months ago and pinned them immediately.  
When I decided on the rainbow party theme, I knew I wanted to make them as party favors.
One problem. . . I don't crochet.
I've tried. I'm just not good at it.

But I buckled down and re-taught myself through some on-line tutorials.
Between that, trial and error and lots of time in the waiting room at dance class. . .
I managed to make 11 circles that could pass as "good enough" rainbows.
The sun was a bit bright when I took this photo and the orange and red kind of blend, but you get the gist.

I liked a little more purple in mine, so I did two rounds of purple before switching up to the blue.
The part I was least concerned about initially was putting in the lining and zipper.
I can sew for goodness sake, that shouldn't be hard, right?
Except that I decided I knew better than the instructions and certainly hand sewing the zips was a complete waste of time!

Have you ever tried to machine sew a zipper into a teeny tiny coin purse?
After two, I quit.  I settled down in front of Downton Abbey Season 2 and hand sewed the darn zips to the crocheted rainbows.

It didn't take that long, nor was it as irritating as I expected it to be since I had DA as a distraction.  And, I admit, the hand sewn ones look better.  The zippers fit better. So yeah, the person writing the tutorial knew what they were talking about.
I love that each one is unique on the inside. I used my scraps and my stash of zippers so each one is different.
I put a Dum Dum sucker and a nickel (Get it?? Because The Bug turned 5?) in each one.
My Grandma always used to say you shouldn't ever give an empty purse as a gift or that person will be penniless.  I know it's ridiculous superstition but I still do it every time. I love my grandma.

I finished them off by tying on these sweet little tags from Homemade by Jill.
They were the perfect finishing touch.
I love that you can google about any idea you can think of and there it will be on the world wide web.
I'm so appreciative of all those folks who share their ideas, tutorials, free printables, etc.
You make me look good.

~Lindsay




Skip To My Lou The Southern Institute

Creative Itch




2 comments:

  1. I SOO wanted to help with the crocheting!!! Secretly so I could have one for myself :) because I have ABSO-LUTLEY no idea how to line or zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!! They turned out great!

    Thanks for sharing @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!
    I'll be featuring you tomorrow, so be sure
    to stop by and grab a 'featured' button!

    ReplyDelete