Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Shirt Fit for a Five Year Old

The night before she was to take Birthday treats in to school I panicked.
Every single year, I have made the Bug a number shirt to wear to school on her Birthday.
This year? No shirt.
Completely slipped my mind.
So I ran to her room and dug through her shirt drawer.  The only unadorned white shirt was long sleeved and it's been HOT here. However at 10 o'clock at night. . . I worked with what I had.

I decided fabric paint was my quickest method so I set to work making a freezer paper stencil.
Is the ombre trend over? I hope not.
I had fun gradating the shade of pink on the five.
The vines and flowers were a last minute addition because the five alone was reading "last minute, night before project".
I cut the long sleeves off. Just guesstimated the length since the Bug was in bed, and then did a lettuce hem in pink thread.  It was still lacking a certain something so I punched it up a bit with a narrow zig zag stitch around the front neckline.

I sighed and decided to leave well enough alone and go to bed. . .
Fingers crossed that she would be gracious in the morning.
She was more than gracious. . . she was thrilled!
Yippee!
And it matches her favorite skirt ever, unintended bonus.
And, since I don't want to do a completely new post. . . here are the cupcakes we made for the Bug's birthday party.
They were even rainbows on the inside.
I love Pinterest. I can't take credit for either the rainbow cake idea or the decorations on top. Both were found by doing a search for "rainbow cupcake".  There is lots of inspiration to be found.

And that my friends is the end of the Birthday posting for another year.
It's been fun. Thanks for hanging in there.

~Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. Love the shirt~ sometimes the best things come from working under pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I do wish I'd had more time but I'm pleased with the end product and so is she (which ultimately is all that matters!).
      ~Lindsay

      Delete