Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gifts for baby. . .

Am I the only one who finds sewing/blogging hard in the summer? 
Maybe I'm just out in the garden more. I don't know.
But I'm definitely not as prolific in the summer months.

I did get in there enough to make a few sweet little gifts for a baby shower this past week.
Baby clothes are so fun to sew. They take so little time and fabric comparatively.
 Embellishing onesies is alway fun. This one I just topped off with a bit of ruffle trim around the collar.
I think it's just the right amount of understated sweetness to pair up with this bold little skirt.
And the skirt (complete with threads needing trimmed. . . sigh. . .) is a simple design with a sweet little ribbon hem.  I love this fabric. It's been in my stash for forever waiting for just the right project. I think this was it.

Instructions on how to complete a ribbon hem are at the end of the Oliver + S Lazy Days Skirt Pattern. It's a technique I've used more than once to avoid hemming a garment!
My personal favorite summer baby gift is also the least photogenic.
It's near impossible to get a good photo unless it is ON a child. 
But Heaven help us. . . believe me when I say this little ruffle bum romper is the pinnacle of adorableness. 
If you don't believe me, click HERE (but don't blame me if you faint from cuteness overload!).

You can get yourself a copy of the pattern by Little Lizard King, here.
I highly recommend it.
The last gift was inspired by this beautiful embroidered pillowcase that was in my stash of vintage goodness I received from my grandma.

I ALMOST made a traditional pillow case dress.
Maybe I should have since that tutorial is the one thing driving traffic to this blog.
But I didn't.
You know me, I can't ever do the same thing twice. 
So I made a peasant dress.
 I used a bit of vintage bias tape to make some fun little stripes. One on the waist and one on the skirt--to make up for the fact that I cut the skirt too short! Shh! Don't tell, I made a mistake! Ha!!

I really do live the bias tape though. It looks so perfect with the sunny yellow flowers.
This embroidery bewitched me.
I am a sucker for a scalloped crochet edge.
I wish you could feel the fabric through the computer. It's the softest time worn bit of lovely you will ever see or feel.
It simply begged to be made into a dainty baby gown.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to this shower but I sent my gift ahead.  I'm told there were great oohs and aaaahs among the crowd.  That stuff always makes me uncomfortable. But what I really hope is that the Momma felt loved and blessed because that's what it's about for me and it's what keeps me sewing. . . even when the sun shines bright outside my sewing room window and my garden beckons.

More baby gifts to come! Another sweet girl due the end of this month will be receiving a package soon! Assuming I get my act together and finish one last thing!

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment