Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Sewing Lesson for the Bug

A few weeks ago a certain little had a case of the pink eye that required a few days at home instead of at daycare.
There may be some children who enjoy such things, but our Bug is a social Bug and too much time with just Mom or just Dad and no friends can be rough. Lots of unique activities are required to keep her mind off of the friends she is missing.

One of the days I spent home with her, I asked if she would like to sew a skirt. She loves to be in the sewing room with me. Loves looking at the fabric and going through the button jars. . .

Doesn't that sound sweet and idyllic? 
In reality it looks more like her pulling fabric and other notions off of my shelves and either throwing it on the floor or worse, "organizing" it for me (translated: moving it somewhere else in the room where she thinks it belongs and I will never find it). Going through the button jar typically involves her dumping a thousand buttons onto the floor, looking at them for 20 seconds and then going back to "organizing", and screaming like a banshee when I suggest she put the buttons back in the jar.
So now that we've established that. . . 

I wanted to sew.
I didn't want to deal with Bug drama while I sewed. So I, selfishly, told her she could make a skirt.
I knew the basic requirement. . . it needed to SPIN really well.
She dictated the rest.
She has been begging to do something with this rainbow stripe fabric for ages so I had a hunch she'd pick that.  I think I got it on clearance at WalMart and it's been in my stash for a year so I was happy to let her use it up.  We had just enough.
Another "must have" is pockets.  She chose the shape and the color of these.
I sewed them on. The curves wigged her out.
And she spent a good 45 seconds hunting through the button jar to find buttons to dress them up.
Small victories.
Yes there are five buttons on the pink pocket and three on the purple. Yes the purple buttons are random and four of the pinks are the same.

I'm not going to pretend that the lack of symmetry doesn't drive me bonkers.
But it's her skirt. Not mine. I fought the urge to control and just let it be.
And she wanted a bow belt. 
A BIG bow belt.
And here is our somewhat finished product.

Completely designed by the Bug (right down to choosing if the ties should be squared or angled at the end).  

Mostly sewn by her, with guidance of course. She really likes that foot pedal. I'm thankful for the speed control on my machine as she tends to enjoy putting the pedal to the metal so to speak! Makes a Momma a bit nervous.

I was tickled to have her wear it to school when she was finally able to go back.
My joy was abruptly ended by a temper tantrum over pocket placement.
Apparently she wanted them on the side seams.
Who knew.
I guess I forgot to ask.

I've yet to make a date with my seam ripper, but I will. No matter how much every ounce of me thinks rounded pockets on the side seams is going to look silly. . .
by golly I'll do it because that's what the Bug ordered and this is, after all her skirt.

I'm pretty sure Momma learned more from this first official sewing lesson than the Bug did.

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment