Monday, October 8, 2012

BFF Birthday Gift

It's Kid's Clothing Week over at Elsie Marley! I started on my list a bit this morning and got 15 minutes in before the Bug woke up.  Finding an hour a day to sew is going to be hard but darn it, I'm going to try!

In the meantime, a post that's been in the hopper for a while. . .

This happened ages ago. A whole month.
The Bug's BFF turned 5 and had a party! A Hula party!
These two! They are just right for each other. Equal parts silly and fun loving. The Bug is bossy and a tad overbearing at times and Miss K is full of grace and patience.  They are like sisters, full of fierce love for each other while at the same time bickering and giving out the silent treatment like no ones business.  They always make up though.  They can't stay mad for long. And always they remain, "Bestest Best Friends".  What a blessing that these two "onlies" have each other.
I made a sweet dress for the Birthday Girl with a matching dress for her brand new American Girl doll.  The dress is made from the Little Lizard King, Catie Dress pattern.  I chose it because it was the only dress pattern I have in my stash that came with instructions to make a matching doll dress!
Going into fall, it's not the most practical thing in the world to make a sweet little sun dress, but I figured it would be cute over a long sleeved tee shirt with tights too.
I hand sewed a bit of pom pom trim around the bottom just for a fun little detail.
The doll dress was made with similar trim.
The two dresses are similar but not identical. I like them that way.
The fit under the arms seems to be a bit of an issue for poor Molly here. It's the same for Miss K unfortunately. Darn that ruffle. I made a few changes to LLK's pattern by shirring the bodice instead of using an elastic casing so that's probably where the fit error came in.  No worries though, I have some ideas for a fix that shouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps then we'll have Miss K model hers as well.

If the Catie Dress looks familiar. . . it was one of our very first Crafting Hope projects! We made a slew of them for a mission in Haiti. It's a great beginner sewing project!

~Lindsay


1 comment:

  1. This is really a great thing love the idea of gifting your lil girl with such great gifts...

    ReplyDelete