Tuesday, October 23, 2012

School Photo Dress

It has come to my attention that I never posted this dress.
Oops.

So here it is, The Bug's dress for her Kindergarten school photos.
Gotta love a model with attitude.
The pattern is Kate's Dress from Lily Bird Studios.  The Bug picked it out, as well as the fabric. I totally had her pegged to choose a brighter more flamboyant print but she surprised me by choosing this sweet Kokka fine whale corduroy
The pattern was really well written and easy to follow. I made the size 5 and it fits perfectly.
Since it was school photos I knew the dress would only be seen from the bodice up so I added really thick red piping and these exaggerated vintage buttons.  I also used red thread to do all of my top stitching. I love those details and how they help pull the little bit of red out of the print.
I realized a bit too late that September is generally too chilly for a sleeveless dress in these parts. So reluctantly I paired it up with this sweet little lettuce hemmed turtle neck. (made my The Childrens Place, not me!) I think it looks cute and classic and very sweet.
The little ruffled sleeves are so cute. And you can see the print a bit better here too.
I bought three yards of this on clearance at The Needle Shop several years ago. I remember thinking it was so pricey at around $11 a yard.  I had no idea.
I've hoarded it since then. No project was quite good enough.  
I'm so glad we used it for this.
The back is held together with a few simple buttons.  All brown but somewhat mismatched.  It's hard to find matching buttons in Grandma's button jar!
The sweet little hair bow was made for us by one of the girls in our youth group. She makes these bows and sells them (Crafting Compassion) so that she can support a Compassion child. I love that. And she did a perfect job with it. It looked so cute.
So there we have it.
A sweet, simple little dress for her school photo.
And she must have liked it, because she actually smiled!

~Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that dress is stunning! What an amazing job you did constructing it and the fabrics work so well together. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete