Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tooth Pillow

We are finding a new groove around here.
The Bug started Kindergarten in August and with that schedules change and I'm still trying to find my new pockets of time to spend in the sewing room.  It's been tough.

But last night when the Bug came home from her class apple orchard field trip proudly sporting one very loose bottom tooth (courtesy of a Golden Delicious) I knew I had to ignore the dishes, the laundry and the cookies that needed to be baked.

Thank goodness I had some unused wool felt in my stash. It was supposed to be a birthday crown but that never happened. 
This sweet little pillow was inspired by one I saw years ago on mmmcrafts. Since I was working quickly, I didn't print out her tutorial or pattern, I worked from memory.  

I drew my own tooth free hand in disappearing ink right on the felt and then cut out two identical pieces.  From there it was just a matter of adding the mouth pocket and embellishing.  Since it's felt and won't fray I didn't bother with sewing right sides together and then turning. I just sewed it wrong sides together and left the seams exposed.  It was a huge time saver and I don't mind the look of it.

I'm still debating adding embroidered eyelashes. If I can find my embroidery floss.

The whole deal took about an hour.  Thank goodness the Bug had a friend over to keep her occupied. Although they both periodically checked in to the sewing room to see my progress.
I hand sewed the tutu on in the evening. It's a nylon chiffon ruffle left over from a CanCan Skirt. I really throw nothing away. Ever. But it made the perfect little ruffly skirt didn't it?

The best thing ever is that the Bug loves it. She gave it a big hug this morning and was all smiles.
A smile that will soon be one tooth shy.

~Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! I would have loved to have something like this when my kiddos were losing teeth! So cute! :-)
    Amy
    www.amystebbins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww!!! love it. Absolutely love it. You must add eyelashes. Cute she hugged it. :-)

    ReplyDelete