Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas Dress

Did you think I forgot about this blog? Whew! Between secretive sewing (for Christmas gifts), general seasonal running to and fro and being sick I have been gone far too long.
The good news is, I have a bit of a stock pile of posts.
If you've been here any ammount of time you know, this is kind of how I roll. Feast or famine.

Well, feast your eyes on this. . .
The Bug's Christmas dress this year was a bubble dress. I used the pattern from Heidi and Finn and it couldn't have come together any easier. And I'm in love with the results. This may be the Easter dress as well. I like it that much.

I feel inclined to add, the headband is from Crazy 8 and it's a simple fabric rosette (that I totally could have made myself but sometimes you need to know when to say when). In these pictures it resembles a tea cup and saucer, which is kind of whimsical and fun but not really the look I was going for.  The tights are grey with silver sparkly stripes that we found at Target. They are "itchy", so be forewarned.  She tolerated them for the sake of fashion but I'm not sure they will be in frequent rotation around here.
The back closes with a simple tie.
I like the simplicity of it (no buttons or zippers? I'm in!) and it brings a bit of interest to the back of the dress.
The Bug loves it.  We've had such unseasonably warm weather this winter that I didn't really think about it being sleeveless until the 11th hour. 
So I thought a quick cape might be a good solution.
I had the perfect piece of purple wool in my stash of fabric from Grandma.
I used the Simple Simon Audrey cape tutorial. I think I should have made the smaller version. This one was a bit big on her.  And somehow my collar was too small. Still. . . it turned out super cute.
I think my favorite part is the vintage button.
It's so fancy.

Turns out, the Bug was not as enamoured with the cape as I was. She wouldn't wear it at all. She said it wasn't warm. She's probably right. I lined it with lining fabric so it was slick and cool inside. I should have used cotton or flannel for added warmth. Live and learn.
She did like it a tad bit better when she realized it spins. So there was at least that.

~Lindsay
The Girl CreativeSew ChattyKeeping It Simple
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This is so sweet - the cape is too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely. I'm impressed. Love the cap. It's original and classy. She's a beautiful girl too. I'll have to check out those patterns. Thanks for sharing. Happy new Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty!

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog's GFC. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! I love it! Thanks for linking to my link party! :)

    ReplyDelete