Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Holiday nightgowns

I knew I wanted to make the Bug's Christmas jammies myself this year. I had pretty much settled on a pattern for a two piece knit set when I saw the Sugarplum nightgown pattern at Peek a Boo patterns and I immediately changed my plans.
The fabric is flannel from JoAnns. I was a bit worried because I ordered on-line and it was deeply discounted but I couldn't have been happier when I recieved it and felt the weight and quality of it. Not to mention, they sent me a little extra fabric because my cut was at the end of the bolt! Bonus! 
Once it was pre-washed it became so soft and snuggly that it was tempting to keep it for myself.
I'm so glad I didn't though.
My girl. . . she pretty much lived in this nightgown the whole of Christmas break and I don't blame her one bit.  It's floor lentgh so to a 5 year old, it's not pajamas it's a princess gown.
It's such a sweet little garment. Not difficult to sew but enough neat little touches to make it feel heirloom quality (like the button placket, gathered sleeves and the lined bodice). The instructions were thourough and easy to follow and the fit is good.  I made the Bug a size 6 and I'm pretty sure she'll be able to wear it still next year.

I am smitten with her in it. It has such a timeless quality about it and it just feels so appropriate for a little girl.

When I bought the pattern I showed my friends and told them my plans and one friend asked if I'd have time to sew up a second one, in red, for her daughter. Of course I had to! Besides, if I'm making one, I might as well make two!
Isn't she stunning?
The nightgown is just as beloved in red. Perhaps too beloved?

A few days before Christmas break Little Miss told her Momma they had pajama day at school.  She was so excited to wear her new nightgown.  Her uncle took her to school that day and sent her Momma the following text message.
Sweet girl FAKED a pajama day just so she could wear her nightgown.
I can't tell you what a compliment this is to me as the maker, and it still makes me chuckle.  Sneaky, clever little girl! (and smart uncle to have a change of clothes on hand, right?)

Moral of the story: This is an awesome nightgown to sew up for a special little girl, but if they claim a pajama day. . . you might want to check with her teacher first.

~Lindsay
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Funny story about Pajama Day!! Both girls look sweet in their new pjs

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup.html
    Lenetta

    ReplyDelete