Saturday, July 20, 2013

Kids Clothing Week (KCW) Fail

Fails
Plural, actually. . .

Fail #1--I totally misjudged the amount of time I would have to sew this week. I thought KCW was the week my husband was going to be away (thus giving me lots of guilt free sewing time).  I was one week off with my timing. So my time to sew early this week was more limited. Oh well. I'm making a go of it, I just started my "week" on Thursday and will end on the following Thursday, not big deal.
My first KCW finish is this pair of shorts made from the new Kids shorts pattern from Dana at MADE. Wonderful, versatile, simple pattern. These shorts sew up super quickly and they are cute.
The fabric is an upholstery weight from IKEA a few years ago. I love the colors.
So the fail here?
The Bug hates them. She took one look at them and said, "Those pockets are too big. I will never, EVER wear those."
The good thing about big pockets? They hold lots of bribes. She agreed to put them on for a photo shoot only because the pockets were stuffed with gummy worms. (The gummy worm bribe was not enough to bargain a matching shirt, combed hair or a washed face)

We've discussed, for future reference, what makes these pockets "too big" (they extend up and over the waist band) and how to improve that on future attempts (shorten the top part). I think I've got it. Just another reminder that my sewing efforts need to more collaborative now as she is getting older and has so many opinions.

As for these shorts, they will find a new home where they will be worn. So all is not lost.

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment