Monday, October 28, 2013

Monarch Butterfly Costume

The Bug requested a butterfly costume for Halloween this year. I thought for sure she would want to be a pink, purple and blue butterfly but she surprised me and requested a Monarch. 

I used the costume at iCandy for inspiration (despite her warnings that it was labor and glue gun intensive).
The wings themselves are made of felt and glued onto a lightweight foam board. The spots are outlined in sequins, black on the front and orange on the back since I ran out of orange and didn't have time to order more. As often happens, I kind of like it and I'm glad I was forced to make it work.

The whole thing is held on by a couple of elastic straps that are sewn onto a piece of felt. I was afraid it would be too heavy and she would object to wearing them but she loves them.

The dress is from the Anywhere Dress pattern.  The fabric is a strange knit. It's like ruffle fabric, but it's not ruffled. I bought it in the remnant section so I don't know the make up of it or the intent. It may even be swimsuit fabric. It's fairly thick though and it has a very fun texture to it.  I added a grey knit band on the bottom just for a little bit of interest. I'm hoping she can wear this dress after Halloween.  I may yet add grey cuffs on the sleeves.  

The leggings are from the Go To Legging pattern. They are so simple and so quick to sew. I made them out of some sweater knit I had in my stash.  I love both of these patterns.

The boots... well those are from Target and they are ALL the Bug.
The orange felt pieces were attached with spray glue so I was working fast. Thus, they aren't perfectly symmetrical.  It bothers me. But not enough to fix it.
Her antennae are simply styrofoam balls covered in glitter and attached to a black headband with pipe cleaners. I love how they kind of droop.
And did you notice Emily? Yes, Emily has her own set of wings. 
This is what happens when I finish a project ahead of schedule. I think of other projects. But I had felt left over. It would have been a shame to let it go to waste, right?
And this? This says it all.
This is why I do what I do.  I love that toothless grin.

~Lindsay


125

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!!! So glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that??!! I love this costume, and totally didn't realize the wing weren't symetrical until you pointed it out!
    Looks great. Thanks for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete