Monday, October 14, 2013

The AnnaBelle Jacket

Having faced my fear of sewing swimwear this summer, I thought a sewing challenge was in order for Fall.
I have so many cute jacket patterns but until now I've been scared to try any of them. I am a fan of Peek a Boo Patterns for their ease and the clarity of instructions so I decided the Annabelle Jacket would be my first jacket attempt.

 I am quite pleased with the results and so is the Bug.
Ultimately the ruffle collar is what does me in. The cuteness of it is almost too much.  I kind of want this jacket in my size. Exactly the same, right down to the buttons.
I've never been into the matching Mommy/Daughter look but this jacket. . . well perhaps I could change my tune.
The buttons aren't bad either. The four on the bodice have a sweet etching of a flower. The button tabs on the sleeves are just simple, but that sunshiney yellow just pops.
The fabric on the outside is a very fine wale corduroy in blue jay. It is like buttah . . . it's so soft!  The lining is a lovely Coreopsis print on velveteen by Anna Maria Horner.  I caught these both on sale (Hallelujah!!) but it was still more than I'm used to paying for fabric. 

It's totally worth the splurge though. Outerwear needs to be made of sturdier fabric. This jacket should stand the test of time. (We're hoping to hand it down!) 

I sewed it up in a size 7 hoping it would work this spring as well. It's got just a little room to grow, so hopefully we don't have any crazy growth spurts.
The jacket came together so well. It was a bit more time consuming than what I usually sew but I still was able to finish in a few evenings.  The directions, as I suspected, were very clear and walked me through the parts I was nervous about.  The only issue I had was with my machine not wanting to make the button holes. It kept getting caught up on the bulk of the seams.  Had I placed the button holes differently it probably wouldn't have been an issue. After a couple of botched attempts and maybe a few tears, I finally just opted to sew the buttonhole with a tight zig zag stitch.  It worked and no one but myself will probably ever notice.
An added bonus we just discovered, this jacket lining is finished so nicely that the coat can be reversible. It's not something I'd planned for, so if she opts to wear it this way, she won't have pockets on the outside, just "hidden" secret inside pockets. But I don't think that's a big deal and it doesn't seem to bother the Bug.

She actually kind of prefers the jacket this way. I can't say that I blame her. That print is stunning, isn't it?

I always had so much fun finding unique jackets for her when she was a baby and toddler. Now, I'm thrilled that if I can't find something in the stores that we both like (why are "big girls" clothes so yuck?) I can just sew her something totally unique and "her".  Hooray for another item ticked off the sewing "bucket list"!

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment