Friday, January 17, 2014

Pattern Testing for Ana Davis

I recently participated in some pattern testing for fabric designer, Ana Davis. She is releasing a new line of sewing patterns through her Etsy shop, AnaDavisLtd.

This pattern testing was unlike tests I've done in the past because Ana sent all of her testers lovely yardage from her fabric collections Pippa, Animal Parade and Spring Promise to sew these things up in.

Forgive my photos, in the Christmas rush of things the best I could manage was quick snapshots on my phone. But at least I made it outside to catch some good light on most of them! That's something, right?
This sweet little dress is the Dorothy Dress, sewn in 18 mo. size and gifted to my sweet little niece. It will be a while before she is big enough to model for us since she's just a wee little thing.  I think it will look nice summer or winter with long sleeves and tights underneath.

The yoke was a little tricky but I figured it out with only minor trouble and since the test, the instructions and diagrams have been updated a bit to aid in the process.  It's such a nicely finished little dress. So sweet.
This is the Pia Pleat Skirt, an adult sized pattern, made from the Pippa line of fabrics.  My test version has an extra wide waistband because that pattern piece was mis-sized but it's kind of a neat effect anyway.

If you know me, sewing for myself (or any adult for that matter) is out of my comfort zone but Ana's instructions, even in the "rough" pre-tested stage walked me through the process with confidence. The few hiccups I came across have been fixed in the final pattern (along with a slimmer waistband).

This skirt is so cute, my photos don't do it justice as you can hardly see the peak of contrasting fabric inside those pleats.  
This pillow... the Dorm Pillow, is the easiest pattern I tested.  Even so, I messed it up. This is what happens when I think I know what I'm doing and don't consult the pattern every single step.  There are supposed to be three narrow stripes in the middle but I put two of them on the outside.  Doesn't effect the functionality in any way, and in this case, I like it.  I didn't notice until my sister, who was testing the same pattern, brought hers to my house for Christmas.  She, of course, did it the right way.

Whatever. 

I still love it. This is the one project of the four that I kept for myself.  It doesn't particularly go with my living room but it's there anyway.  It's a nice big 20" x 20" size.  When I took these photos, my pillow form hadn't come yet so you are only seeing the pillow cover and it's hard to see the scale. Sorry about that.

The last thing I tested was the Isabella Tunic.  I think I was most nervous about this one. It's been a long time since I've sewn a ladies top.  The style of this one is simple and classic.  I fell in love with the green accent fabric. Go figure, it's from an older line and impossible to find now.

The tunic really is super cute. 

If you are on the lookout for some new things to sew, check out Ana's Etsy shop.  The patterns are reasonably priced and they are PDF downloads (which rocks for the immediate gratification factor).  She has these above patterns and also some really cute pillow patterns that would be GREAT for a beginning seamstress.

And if you are on the lookout for some cute fabric (and really, aren't we all?), check out these lines and her newer ones, Clementine and True Blue.

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment