Monday, October 13, 2014

Etage Pattern Test

I had a chance to test the Etage Dress and Top PDF pattern by Sew Straight and Gather.
Now that the pattern has released I can blog about it!
This top was a bit more involved of a project than I usually do for the Bug. Typically she likes simple, simple, simple and comfortable. But I thought perhaps this style with the tiered swirly ruffles might do the trick.  It is knit after all and very comfy.
This top was made from the first tester version of the pattern. Some of the angles have been changed but the essence is still the same.
The pattern itself is very well written.
If you sew with PDF patterns, you really should do at least one pattern test for a designer if only to appreciate the process they go through to make sure everything about their design and tutorial are perfect.  This pattern is no exception. It went through several pattern revisions and few different layouts before being good to go.
She says the shirt is very comfortable.  I think that's due in part to the fabric. These are lovely mid-weight knits I bought from EuroGirls Boutique. It was my first purchase from them but it will not be my last. The knit is such high quality, so soft and easy to sew with.

That said, I think personally, I would have preferred this particular top done in a knit with a bit less weight and perhaps more of a solid color. I really loved some of the other tester photos that made theirs of up-cycled tee shirts.  The ruffles seemed to lay a bit better.  After I took these  photos, I trimmed off my hems and left them all raw. That helped a bit.  All one color would be nice too. This is a bit busy for my liking. With those tweaks I think this would really be a fun top or dress.

As always, I'm so thankful for the opportunity to test.  I love trying new things and new designers and testing gives me the chance to do that. Not to mention learning from all of the other pattern testers. Some of those ladies are pretty amazing.

So go get your Etage top or dress pattern. I can see some adorable (and comfortable!) holiday outfits coming from this pattern!

~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment